INCREASE: INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCES FOR ADULT EDUCATORS WORKING WITH MULTICULTURAL AND MULTILINGUAL LEARNERS
The main objective of intercultural education lies in preparing people to perceive, accept, respect, and experience alterity. The theme of interculturality has emerged in the last decades as an educational response to phenomena of increasing interconnections. It is known that many conflicts, challenges such as the migration/ refugee crisis, the “Brexit", the globalization, all these phenomena have a significant impact on the intercultural life spheres of our society, including education in general and adult education in particular. The necessary (but not enough) condition for resolving conflicts is to find efficient communication channels and adequate skills to ease conflicts and tensions.
Educators play a key role in responding to these challenges. However, the current situation is pointing out the existing lack of intercultural communication (ICC) of adult educators, especially considering that most of the practitioners involved in this activity are qualified outside the field of education and therefore lack even the general competences of adult education.
The project aimed to strengthen ICC of adult educators working in various formal and non-formal educational settings in order to help them to overcome the challenges arising from their everyday work with multicultural and multilingual learners' populations.
Year(s): 2019 - 2021
Target group(s): Participating target groups: adult educators were provided with resources and a training programme designed to equip them with competences necessary to deal with intercultural situations in their learner groups in a sensitive and constructive manner
Website or other online channels: https://increase.grant.umfiasi.ro/
For achieving the objectives of the project, the partnership undertook the following activities:
- Mapping of the current situation in the matter of multiculturalism in adult education for each partner country to identify the profiles of the trainer of trainers from the perspective of ICC, by production of video testimonials
- Identification of experiences of adult educators in dealing with multicultural learners, problems/difficulties faced, successful experiences/best practices actions, advice/tips on dealing with multicultural groups of adults
- Support the adult educators from both formal and non-formal education institutions while working with multicultural and multilingual learners, to use specialized tools to evaluate the stress of acculturation
- Strengthening ICC of adult educators using the developed training programme and material for self-learning
- Increasing cultural awareness among adult educators by involving them in piloting, in cascading the newly gained knowledge, experience and expertise during the multiplier events
Type of product
Paper-based material Online resource Video clips / Films Course / Training
Brief description of the outcomes
- Interactive Map of Multicultural and Multilingual adult educators/learners in EU with focus on knowledge, skills and attitudes
- E-Test/Questionnaire Tool to set up the Profile of multicultural learners needs (Socio-demographic characteristics, educational motivation andgeo-cultural comfortability, multilingual andmulti-religious classes, related to the process of adaptation of freshman international learners andimmigrants)
- The INCrEAsE training programme, aiming to strengthen intercultural competences (ICC) of adult educators working in various formal andnon-formal educational settings in order to help them to overcome the challenges arising from their everyday work with multicultural andmultilingual learners’ populations
- E-book “Enhancing Intercultural Communicative Competence" – A self-learning resource for adult educatorsprepared in the format of E-book, based on the developed programme andconsistingof the self-guided professional development materials as well as the selected examples of the most relevant case studies and good practices, supported with a variety of practical training activities, examples, exercises, tests, etc.
Impact on target groups / Transferability potential
Indirect target group: multicultural and multilingual learners, international students, migrants and refugees by supporting them to overcome stressors, like language barrier, cultural aspects, religious facilities, relationship with family, social support and academic facilities.
Long term impact: shape positive attitudes toward multiculturalism and cultural diversity in society, adult education centers/organisations/ Universities, services, businesses, companies, hospitals, etc., and acquire possibilities to use project outputs in a wide range of applications.
The E-book “Enhancing Intercultural Communicative Competence" isfreely accessible in its entirety from the project website, in the form of pdf and/or flipbook, and it issuitable for both trainer-facilitated face-to-face sessions and self-learning. The core content (theoretical part) of the material iscommon for all partner countries, while the practical part isadopted to the specific situation in each partner country and may be tailored to the needs of adult educators being trained.This allows transferability and adaptability very easily to other countries, languages and even other target groups and target sectors.
Promoter of the initiative: UNIVERSITATEA DE MEDICINA SI FARMACIE GRIGORE T. POPA
Country: Cyprus Greece Italy Lithuania Romania Spain
Languages available: English Greek Italian Lithuanian Romanian Spanish
Website or other online channels: http://www.umfiasi.ro/